Information notice on personal data processing
We hereby inform users of IIT's website, in accordance with Art. 13 of Italian Legislative Decree 196/2003 as amended and supplemented and in compliance with the Measure of the Italian Data Protection Authority no. 229 dated 8 May 2014, that browsing on this website involves the acquisition of some data, whose transmission to Fondazione Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia (hereafter, “IIT”) occurs automatically by way of Internet communication protocols. In particular, IIT's website uses the following types of cookies: browsing/session cookies, analytics cookies, functional cookies and third party cookies.
Purposes of processing and types of cookies used
The processing purposes refer to browsing on IIT's website, which uses the types of cookies described below.
The use of so-called browsing/session cookies - which are not stored persistently on the user's computer and are deleted upon closing the browser - is strictly limited to the transmission of session identifiers (constituted by random numbers generated by the server) required to allow the secure and efficient exploration of the website.
In particular, the computer systems and software procedures used to operate IIT's website acquire, during their normal operation, some data whose transmission is implicit in the use of Internet communication protocols. This information is not collected to be associated with identified interested parties but, by its very nature, it may, via processing and association with data held by third parties, allow for users to be identified.
The use of so-called analytics cookies occurs for the sole purpose of obtaining anonymous statistical information on use of the website (e.g. the number of visitors to the website, the origin of visitors to the website or the operating system used) and to check its correct operation.
This category of data includes IP addresses or domain names of the computers used by users who connect to the website, the addresses in URI (Uniform Resource Identifier) notation of the requested resources, the time of the request, the method used in submitting the request to the server, the size of the file obtained in response, the numerical code indicating the status of the response given by the server (successful, error, etc.) and other parameters relating to the user's operating system and computer environment.
The use of so-called functional cookies on IIT's website occurs exclusively to allow the user to browse based upon the chosen language (Italian or English).
Third party cookies
In particular, cookies originating from youtube.com are used to allow the presence of videos from that website, while cookies originating from google.com are used for browsing statistics (Google Analytics).
The data may be processed both by way of computer media and on paper, in compliance with the rules in relation to personal data protection, therein including those relating to data security.
Mandatory or optional nature of data provision
The provision of the data via IIT's website is optional.
Below are the links that illustrate the procedures to be followed to configure the settings of the most popular browsers:
- Mozilla Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-and-disable-cookies-website-preferences
- Internet Explorer: http://windows.microsoft.com/it-it/windows-vista/block-or-allow-cookies
- Chrome : https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/61416?hl=en
- Opera : http://www.opera.com/help/tutorials/security/privacy/
- Safari : https://support.apple.com/kb/PH17191?locale=en_US
Users are in any case free to provide their personal data voluntarily by sending requests to the e-mail addresses found on the website; in this case, any failure to provide the same may involve the impossibility by IIT to reply to the request received.
Categories of entities to which the data may be communicated
Any data provided by users will not be communicated to entities external to IIT. This is without prejudice to IIT's obligation to communicate the data to the Judicial Authority at any time a specific request is sent in that regard.
The Processing Controller of data provided by users is Fondazione Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, based in Genoa, Via Morego no. 30.
Rights of the interested party
The persons to whom the personal data refers have the right at any time to obtain confirmation of the existence or otherwise of that data and to know of its content and origin, to verify its accuracy or to request its supplementation, update or rectification (Art. 7 of Italian Legislative Decree no. 196/2003).
In particular, the interested party has the right to obtain an indication:
- of the origin of the personal data;
- of the purposes and methods of processing;
- of the logic applied in the case of processing performed using electronic tools;
- of the identification details of the controller, managers and appointed representative in accordance with Article 5, Paragraph 2;
- of the entities or categories of entities to which the personal data may be communicated or which may come to know of it in the capacity of appointed representative in the State territory, managers or officers.
The interested party has the right to obtain:
- the update, rectification or, where appropriate, supplementation of the data;
- the deletion, transformation into anonymous form or block of data processed in breach of the law, including that whose storage is not necessary in relation to the purposes for which the data was collected or subsequently processed;
- certification that the operations referred to in letters a) and b) have been brought to the attention, also as regards their content, of those to whom the data has been communicated or disseminated, except where that fulfilment is found to be impossible or involves the use of means manifestly disproportionate to the protected right.
The interested party has the right to object, in whole or in part:
- for legitimate reasons, to the processing of personal data relating to him/her, even if pertinent to the purpose of its collection;
- to the processing of personal data relating to him/her for the purposes of sending advertising material or direct sales or for the completion of market research or commercial communication.