Computational Postdoctoral Researcher
March 29th, 1982: Born in Copertino (LE), Italy.
Education and Training
- July 2001: Scientific Diploma at Liceo Scientifico “G. Banzi Bazoli”, in Lecce (100/100 cum Laude).
- July 29th, 2004: First-Level Degree in Physics (110/110 summa cum Laude) at the University of Salento with a dissertation on “One-Mode Solutions of the Fermi-Pasta-Ulam System” (Advisors: Prof. Mario Leo and Prof. Rosario Antonio Leo).
- July 27th, 2006: Master Degree in Physics (110/110 summa cum Laude) at the University of Salento with a dissertation on "Ab initio Study of Methanethiol Adsorbed on the Cu(110) Metal Surface" (Advisors: Prof. Rosaria Rinaldi, Dr. Fabio Della Sala and Dr. Letizia Chiodo).
- November 29th, 2006 – March 12th, 2007: CNR-INFM Scholarship for graduated students at CRS NNL National Nanotechnology Laboratory in Lecce.
- March 13th, 2007 - October 28th, 2010: Ph.D. in Nanosciences-ISUFI, University of Salento (XXII Cycle) with a dissertation on “Theoretical Modelling of Plasmonic Nanosystems” (Tutor: Dott. Fabio Della Sala, Coordinator: Prof. Roberto Cingolani).
- April 15th, 2010 – July 14th, 2010: Research contract stipulated with the Research Fundation "Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia", Lecce, Italy.
- July 15th, 2010- June 30th, 2011: Research contract stipulated with the Institute of Nanosciences CNR-NANO on “Simulazione della Interazione Elettromagnetica tra Molecole e Nanoparticelle metalliche” (Public selection, N° NANO CO 002/ 2010 LE).
- March 1st, 2011 – June 30th, 2011: Visiting scientist at the Physics Department of the University of Pavia, in the “Photonics and Nanostructures” Group of Prof. Lucio Claudio Andreani.
- July 1st, 2011 – June 30th, 2013: Postdoc fellow at the Physics Department of the University of Pavia, in the “Photonics and Nanostructures” Group of Prof. Lucio Claudio Andreani, on the research program “Plasmonic nanostructures: radiation-matter interaction and Photovoltaics Applications”.
- July 1st, 2013 – June 30th, 2014: Postdoc position at the Center for Biomolecular Nanotechnologies – Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia in Lecce on the research program “Lightmatter interactions in semiconductor nanostructures” (BC: 68449).
- From July 1st, 2014 (Until July 1st, 2017): Post doctoral position at the Center for Biomolecular Nanotechnologies – Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia in Lecce in Computational Plasmonics (BC: 69446).
- May 1st, 2015 - August 31st, 2015: Guest Scientist within the Eleonore-Trefftz Programm at the Dresden University of Technology (TUD), Dresden, Germany.
- 2012 – 2013: Assistant Lecturer (Cultore della Materia) in FIS/03 in the Department of Physics of the University of Pavia.
- January 2015 – February 2015 : Lecturer of the Course “Photonics” (3 CFD) for the Ph.D. Students of “Fisica e Nanoscienze”, at the Department of Physics of the University of Salento.
- February 6th, 2013 – February 5th, 2014: Collaboration Contract with ISUFI (Istituto Superiore Universitario di Formazione Interdisciplinare) as Tutor for the Natural Sciences Area for the A.A. 2012/2013
- February 28th, 2014 - February 27th, 2015: Collaboration Contract with ISUFI (Istituto Superiore Universitario di Formazione Interdisciplinare) as Tutor for the Natural Sciences Area for the A.A. 2013/2014.
- April 14th, 2015 - February 13th, 2016: Collaboration Contract with ISUFI (Istituto Superiore Universitario di Formazione Interdisciplinare) as Tutor for the Natural Sciences Area for the A.A. 2014/2015.
- April 20th, 2016 – April 19th, 2017: Collaboration Contract with ISUFI (Istituto Superiore Universitario di Formazione Interdisciplinare) as Tutor of the three Areas (Natural, Human and Social Sciences).
- 2016 – 2018: Assistant Lecturer (Cultore della Materia) in SSD FIS/02 in the Department of Mathematics and Physics “Ennio De Giorgi”, University of Salento.
- December 5th, 2017: "Professore Abilitato Associato" for the Scientific Sector "Fisica Teorica della Materia" (02/B2).
- Solid-state Physics, Nanophotonics and Plasmonics.
Topics of Interest:
- Theoretical analysis of electromagnetic interactions, in both weak and strong-coupling regimes, between point-like emitters and metallic nanoclusters or nanoparticles able to support localized surface plasmons (within Classical Electromagnetism and Quantum Mechanics schemes).
Major Research Activities
- Electromagnetic Modelling of metallic nanostructures in the framework of the Discrete Dipole Approximation (DDA). Fundamental contributions to the development of the DDA code.
- Ab Initio calculations, in the scheme of Density Functional Theory (DFT), on hybrid SAM-metallic surface systems (methanethiol/Cu(110), methanethiolate/Au(111), biphenyl/Au(111) etc.).
- Analysis of the optical behaviour of electro-optocal devices (Organic Light Emitting Diodes - OLEDs) in the Chance-Prock-Silbey theory.
- Quantum Electrodynamics study of quantum effects as vacuum Rabi splitting and single photon emission in systems involving strong coupling interactions between Frenkel excitons and plasmons (plexcitons).
- Quantum Plasmonics and Ab Initio study, in the framework of Time-Dependent Density Functional Theory, of the absorption spectra of sub-nanometer metallic nanoparticles.
Reviewing and Boards
- Peer-review activity for several International Journals (Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology, Optics Communications, etc.).
- 2011 – 2013: Editor of the Book “Handbook of Molecular Plasmonics”, published by Pan Stanford Publishing Pte Ltd. (http://www.panstanford.com/books/9789814303200.html)
- September 2014: Member of the Examination Committee for admission to the XXX Cicle of the Ph.D. in “Fisica e Nanoscienze” of the Department of Mathematics and Physics “Ennio De Giorgi”.
- From 2013 (in course): Member of the Board of the Ph.D. in “Fisica e Nanoscienze”, of the Department of Mathematics and Physics “Ennio De Giorgi”.
- January - December 2016: Lead Guest Editor of a Special Issue for The Journal of Nanomaterials on “Strong Coupling Interactions in Plasmonics: Computational and Experimental Aspects”.
- Member of the Local Organizing Committee of the International Conference MOLARMEET 2016 - “Supramolecular Assembly: towards Novel Functional Materials and Devices”
(www.molarnetworkshop.eu), 6th-10th September 2016 at MUST (Museo Storico della Città di Lecce), Lecce, Italy.
- Member of the Local Organizing Committee of the fifth Edition of the International Workshop PLASMONICA 2017 (http://www.plasmonica.it/2017), 5th-7th July 2017 at Convitto Palmieri, Lecce, Italy.
- Local Organizer of the International Conference “Trends in Nanotechnology” to be held from 3rd to 7th September 2018 in Lecce, Italy.
- Member of the Computational Project CINECA-2007 (150.000 CPU hours), Title: Ab initio electronic properties of interfaces in hetero nanostructures.
- Member of the Computational Project CINECA-2008 (80.000 CPU hours), Title: Electromagnetic modeling of fluorescence near metal nanostructures.
- Member of the staff group of DEDOM (Development of Density functional theory methods for Organic Metal Interaction) FP7-Ideas, ERC Starting Grant, July 2008- June 2013.
- Co-developer (together with Dr. Fabio Della Sala) of the parallel code written in Fortran able to use the Discrete Dipole Aprroximation (DDA) dipoles of a metallic target to compute the near field in an arbitrary set of points. The code is available online at http://adda. googlecode.com/svn/trunk/misc/near_field/nearfield_manual.txt.
- Member of the Computational Project CINECA ISCRA Class C – 2011 (20.000 CPU hours), N. HP10C1ZQTO, Title: Modelling Of Plasmons Emitters Electromagnetic Interactions (MOPEEI).
- Supervisor of the Computational Project CINECA ISCRA Class C – 2012 (50.000 CPU hours), N. HP10CH36MI, Title: Quantum Effects and Strong Coupling Regime In Plasmonics (QUASCIP).
- Supervisor of the Computational Project CINECA ISCRA Class C – 2016 (80.000 CPU hours), N. HP10CERVYG, Title: Nonlocal Effects and Electron Tunneling In Plasmonics (NEETIP).
S. D’Agostino, L. Chiodo, F. Della Sala, R. Cingolani and R. Rinaldi, Ab Initio Structural and Electronic Analysis of CH3SH Self-Assembled on a Cu(110) Substrate, Phys. Rev. B, 75, 195444 (2007).
S. D’Agostino and F. Della Sala, Electromagnetic Modelling of the Optical Behaviour of Silver Nanospheres on Dielectric Substrates: the Role of a Silver Buffer Layer, Superlattice & Microstructures, 47, 55 (2010)
S. D’Agostino, P. P. Pompa, R. Chiuri, R. J. Phaneuf, D. G. Britti, R. Rinaldi, R. Cingolani, and F. Della Sala, Enhanced Fluorescente by Metal Nanospheres on Metal Substrates, Opt. Lett., 34, 2381 (2009). Selected for “the Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology”.
M. Piacenza, S. D’Agostino, E. Fabiano and F. Della Sala, Ab initio Depolarization in Self-Assembled Molecular Monolayers: Beyond Conventional Density Functional Theory, Phys. Rev. B, 80, 153101 (2009). Selected for “the Virtual Journals in Science & Technolgy”.
E. Fabiano, M. Piacenza, S. D’Agostino and F. Della Sala, Towards an Accurate Description of the Electronic Properties of the Biphenylthiol/gold Interface: The Role of Exact Exchange, J. Chem. Phys., 131, 234101 (2009).
F. Della Sala, E. Fabiano, S. Laricchia, S. D’Agostino and M. Piacenza, The Role of Exact-Exchange in the Theoretical Description of Organic-Metal Interfaces, Int. J. Quantum Chem., 110, 2162 (2010).
G. Cheng, M. Mazzeo, S. D’Agostino, F. Della Sala, S. Carallo, and G. Gigli, Pure White Hybrid Light-Emitting Device with Color Rendering Index Higher than 90, Opt. Lett., 35, 616 (2010).
S. D’Agostino and F. Della Sala, Active Role of Oxide Layers on the Polarization of Plasmonic Nanostructures, ACS Nano, 4, 4117 (2010).
M. Mazzeo, F. Della Sala, F. Mariano, G. Melcarne, S. D’Agostino, Y. Duan, R. Cingolani and G. Gigli, Shaping White Light Through Electroluminescent Fully Organic Coupled Microcavities, Adv. Mater., 22, 4696 (2010).
Stefania D'Agostino and Fabio Della Sala, Silver Nanourchins in Plasmonics: Theoretical Investigation on the Optical Properties of the Branches, J. Phys. Chem. C., 115, 11934 (2011).
S. D’Agostino, F. Della Sala and L. C. Andreani, Dipole Decay Rates Engineering via Silver Nanocones, Plasmonics, 8, 1079 (2013).
S. D’Agostino, F. Della Sala and L. C. Andreani, Dipole-Excited Surface Plasmons in Metallic Nanoparticles: an Engineering of Decay Dynamics within the Discrete Dipole Approximation, Phys. Rev. B 87, 205413 (2013).
S. D’Agostino, F. Della Sala and L. C. Andreani, Radiative Coupling of High-order Plasmonic Modes with Far-Field, Photonics and Nanostructures - Fundamentals and Applications, 11, 4, 335 (2013).
Y. Xie, L. Carbone, C. Nobile, V. Grillo, S.
D'Agostino, F. Della Sala, C. Giannini, D. Altamura, C. Oelsner, K. Carola and D. Cozzoli, Metallic-like Stoichiometric Copper Sulfide Nanocrystals: Phase
and Shape Selective Synthesis, Near-Infrared Surface Plasmon Resonance
Properties and Their Modeling, ACS Nano, 7, 7352 (2013).
S. D’Agostino, F. Alpeggiani and L. C. Andreani, Strong Coupling Between a Dipole Emitter and Localized Plasmons: Enhancement by Sharp Silver Tips, Opt. Expr., 21, 27602 (2013).
L. Persano, A. Camposeo, P. Del Carro, V. Fasano, M. Moffa, R. Manco, S. D’Agostino, and D. Pisignano, Distributed Feedback Imprinted Electrospun Fiber Lasers, Advanced Materials, 26(38), 6542 (2014).
D. Ballarini, M. De Giorgi, S. Gambino, G. Lerario, M. Mazzeo, A. Genco, G. Accorsi, C. Giansante, S. Colella, S. D'Agostino, P. Cazzato, D. Sanvitto and G. Gigli, Polariton-Induced Enhanced Emission from an Organic Dye Under the Strong Coupling Regime, Advanced Optical Materials, 2-11, 1076 (2014).
S. D’Agostino, F. Della Sala and L. C. Andreani, Modifications of Dipole Decay Dynamics by Optical Antennas: a Study within the Discrete Dipole Approximation, Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology, 5-11, 1 (2015). Invited Review Article.
F. Todisco, S. D'Agostino, M. Esposito, A. I. F. Dominguez, M. De Giorgi, D. Ballarini, L. Dominici, I. Tarantini, M. Cuscunà, F. Della Sala, G. Gigli, and D. Sanvitto, Exciton–Plasmon Coupling Enhancement via Metal Oxidation, ACS Nano 9-10, 9691 (2015).
F. Alpeggiani, S. D’Agostino, D. Sanvitto and D. Gerace, Plasmon Blockade from Metallic Nanodimers, Scientific Reports, 6, 34772 (2016).
- S. D’Agostino, F. Della Sala and L. C. Andreani, Dipole Decay Rates Engineering via Metallic Nanosystems, AIP Conf. Proc., 1475, 47 (2012).
F. Alpeggiani, S. D’Agostino and L. C. Andreani, Surface Plasmons and Strong Light-Matter Coupling in Metallic Nanostructures, 16th International Conference on Transparent Optical Networks (ICTON), IEEE Conference Publications, 14516812, 1 (2014).
S. D’Agostino, F. Alpeggiani and L. C. Andreani, Strong Coupling between Localized Surface Plasmons and Point-like Emitters within the Classical Scheme of the Discrete Dipole Approximation, 8th International Congress on Advanced Electromagnetic Materials in Microwaves and Optics - Metamaterials 2014, accepted by IEEE Conference Publications (2014).
CBN (Center for Biomolecular Nanotechnologies)-IIT Best Paper Award 2015 for the publication “Exciton–Plasmon Coupling Enhancement via Metal Oxidation” ACS Nano, 2015, 9 (10), pp 9691–9699. DOI: 10.1021/acsnano.5b04974. Link at the website https://talk.iit.it.
Best Poster Award for the work “Density Functional Tight Binding (DFTB) Method for Plasmonics: Advantages and Limits”, presented at the Italian Workshop Plasmonica 2016, September 14th -16th 2016, Genoa, Italy.
Idoneity for the CNR Concourse Bando n. 368.21 RIC – Area Strategica – “Ottica, Fotonica, Tecnologie Atomiche e Quantistiche” (2016).